2016-2017 Dress Code Policy—All Schools
Uniforms are available for purchase at True Grits
CVCS believes that a designated student wardrobe is a positive way to emphasize membership and group identity, fostering a community spirit. Uniforms allow students to be recognized for who they are rather than what they wear, and help to promote school unity. Student apparel reflects the conduct, attitudes and the quality of the school. This helps students to realize that a person’s unique gifts and personality traits go deeper than their apparel and aren’t diminished by uniform dress. At CVCS, all JK-12th grade students are required to wear uniforms.
Students will adhere to the dress code at all times while on campus. Students will not be allowed in class if they are not in dress code.
Teachers and/or administration will conduct enforcement of the dress code. Students and appropriate school office will be notified, in writing, of the violation and related consequence. Repeat violators will receive consequences that increase in length and severity, up to and including suspension from class, school and/or withdrawal or expulsion from CVCS.
With the exception of the approved Dickies and team sports clothing, all pants, shorts, skirts, shirts, sweaters and jackets must be purchased from True Grits. Sweatshirts may be purchased from True Grits or CVCS. Purchase clothing in the appropriate sizes, following the guidelines described below. It is the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian to assure that the student is in proper attire while at school and at all school activities and events.
Clothing must be clean and neat in appearance. Additional markings from pens, paint or other (permanent or temporary) is prohibited from being placed on clothing or on the skin.
- Pants and Shorts: Pants and shorts may not be oversized, baggy, torn, rolled, have the seams split, or non-hemmed. Undergarments must not be visible. Blue jean pants are permitted on Fridays or specially designated days only. Blue jean shorts are not permitted.
- Skirts: Skirts may be no more than 3 inches above the knee (when kneeling), must not be tight, torn, or rolled at the waist. An administrator may deem a skirt too tight or too short.
- Shirts (Uniform and Undershirts): Shirts may or may not be tucked. Bare midriffs are not permitted. Ill-fitting shirts will be considered a dress code violation. Therefore, shirts should be purchased with this in mind. Undershirts or undergarments must be solid (no logos, writing or drawings) and shall be white, navy or burgundy.
- Outerwear: All outerwear (Jackets, Sweatshirts, and Sweaters) MUST have a CVCS Logo. All non-CVCS outerwear is not approved. Acceptable outerwear must be purchased from True Grits or CVCS. CVCS athletic team jackets (if applicable) may also be worn. Only approved CVCS Shirts may and must be worn under outerwear. Jackets and sweatshirts may be hooded, although hoods are not to be worn indoors.
- Sweaters and Sweatshirts: All sweaters and sweatshirts MUST have a CVCS Logo. All non-CVCS sweaters and sweatshirts are not approved. Acceptable sweaters and sweatshirts must be purchased from True Grits or CVCS. Uniform shirts or solid white, navy or burgundy T-shirts must be worn under sweatshirts. (Sweatshirts must remain on all day, if student is wearing a solid white, navy or burgundy T-shirt with no CVCS Logo.) Uniform shirts must be worn under cardigan sweaters or front-zip sweaters or sweatshirts. Hoods are not to be worn indoors.
- Socks/Tights/Leggings: Socks, if worn, are to be solid white, Khaki, navy, or black. Girls may wear low, crew or knee-high socks, full-length tights or leggings that extend to the ankles. Socks/Tights/Leggings must be solid white, navy, burgundy or black. Fish net, textured, multi-colored or patterned stockings are not permitted. Thigh-high socks are not permitted.
- Hats/Beanies: No hats allowed to be worn during normal school hours. CVCS beanies are allowed and can be worn outside and in the gym only.
- Hair: All hairstyles are to be neat, clean and of natural color. Unbecoming, bizarre or distracting hairstyles and/or colors will not be permitted. In case of questionable styles, school administrators have the discretion to determine what is appropriate. Males: Hair may only extend to mid-ear on the sides, above the eyebrows in front, above the collar in back. Hair must be styled neatly and combed properly while on campus and at school functions and activities.
- Grooming: All male students must be clean-shaven. Sideburns may not extend below the bottom of the ear, are to be neatly trimmed, and square cut at the bottom. Students failing to shave will be asked to shave while at school. Failure to comply with such requests may result in suspension from school.
- Accessories: Male students may not wear earrings or ear studs during school hours or at any school functions or events. For all students, body-piercing objects are not to be seen including nose, tongue and belly rings, etc. Chains are not permitted, for example, from belt loop to wallet. Bandanas are not to be worn in any fashion. Markings, tattoos (permanent or temporary) must be covered. Accessories that the administration determines as inappropriate (at their discretion) are not permitted.
- Belts: Not mandatory (unless shirt is tucked and student is wearing clothes with belt loops). Belts must be of appropriate style, length and color to the uniform. No oversized belt buckles, metal studs or other patterns are permitted. Belts must be worn at the natural waist. Belt buckles must not contain inappropriate designs or logos.
- Make-up: Females: Make-up, if worn, must be in good taste. Excessive make-up and/or extreme colors are not permitted. Males: Are not permitted to wear make-up.
- Shoes: Shoes must be in neat condition, and closed at the toe. Extreme or faddish shoes are not permitted (i.e.: platforms, slippers, sandals, combat or construction boots, steel-toe boots/shoes, moccasins). Heels more than 2” are not permitted. Shoes must be worn on campus at all times and at all school events and activities.
- Gang Related Attire: Any items of clothing, jewelry or markings that appear to be gang related are not permitted and will be investigated.